Thursday, February 23, 2012

A (Lot More Than A) Spoonful of Sugar

So, I've been sick for so long that I've forgotten what it's like to feel healthy. It's kind of strange. On Tuesday I got some prescription medication though, and it's helping. Because you can only stay in your pajamas, rest on the sofa while your young child watches way too much PBS Kids, go to bed before eight every night, and visit the afternoon bus stop in old yoga pants and running shoes for so many days in a row, I've also been doing my best to rejoin the land of the living. I've been doing that mainly by eating Girl Scout cookies.

Yesterday after Genevieve left for kindergarten I also attempted to get a (tiny, pathetic) bit of exercise. I'm afraid my muscles are wasting away since all I've been doing for 17 days or so is sittimg on the sofa and, recently, consuming Girl Scout cookies. Because I am realistic about one's fitness level after an episode of lethargy this long, I turned on Level 1, not Level 3 (my usual) of Jillian Michaels' The 30 Day Shred. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Today I go back to my daughters' classrooms where I (usually) volunteer every Thursday afternoon. Because I've been sick for so long, it's been three weeks since I've been there, so my girls are thrilled and I am looking forward to being out of the house. However, I'm pretty sure that volunteering in elementary school every Thursday afternoon may have been how I contracted this illness in the first place. I'm just saying.

I've got more things to tell you about soon, but for now let me leave you with some humor. Yesterday an unusual number of things caused me to literally laugh out loud. Actually, "snort" may be a more accurate word. I snorted with laughter. In case you need a laugh too, here they are:

First, the picture of the...ahem...homemade shorts in this post on another mother runner. OMG. Words fail.

The photo of Caitlin's dog's BENT NOSE in this post on Healthy Tipping Point.

The ending of this post by Catherine Newman on Ben and Birdy (warning: profanity included), which may or may not be as hilarious if you haven't read Catherine since she wrote on babycenter.com years and years ago and fielded all sorts of comments about her gorgeous son, I don't know, because I have read her that long, and I can just imagine her saying that (and loving it).

And these comments from my Facebook friends, after I posted that my doctor advised me to take my medication with a little food, and that surely that meant six Girl Scout cookies, right?

"A spoonful of sugar..."
"Makes the medicine go down!"
"Six Girl Scout cookies sound perfect as medicine. Now what will you do for the food?"

Among many others. Because I have witty friends.

So, it's 6:20 a.m. Do you think Girl Scout cookies work for breakfast?

3 comments:

New Mommy Confessions said...

Hope you recover soon! And yes, girl scout cookies are good *anytime* and *especially* for breakfast. lol
New follower, found you on Top Mommy Blogs. :) Would love for you to check out my blog as well!

http://newmommyconfessions.blogspot.com/

Rita said...

Girl, in my house, a serving size of Girl Scout Cookies = ONE SLEEVE.

Daisy said...

Schools are, indeed, germ factories. I teach online now, and I get sick much less often. I've been able to let go of my germ paranoia a little bit. I never let kids borrow my pens and pencils for fear of contracting who-knows-what virus.