Sunday, March 25, 2012

And How Was Your Spring Break?


The other day I was pawing through my "forever box" (as we call them in my house)---you know, a box of mementos I keep in a closet--and came across a clipped-out quote that was my treasured favorite for years, that I'd kept pinned to various bulletin boards above various desks during college and graduate school and work, but that I'd completely forgotten about in the years since.

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exaltation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived--this is to have succeeded."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


I was an English major, so gorgeous quotes by Emerson held substantial sway with me. Still do, actually.

1 comment:

Mom said...

A beautiful quote and one that can make even a tired grandma feel that she has been successful over the years. Thanks for the reminder!