Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Spring Style: Color


I'm no style maven, but I do enjoy freshening up my wardrobe a little bit at the beginning of each season. I mean, who can resist the cute new shoes and bags, the scarves and dresses and boots? Not me. But I'm a stay-at-home mom on a budget, and I can't fulfill all my shopping fantasies every three months. So my strategy is generally to stick with my existing basics while adding in a few bright pieces here and there to add a jolt of "new."

Recently, BlogHer invited me, as a member of the BlogHer Life Well Lived panel, to answer the question, What will you be wearing this year? What are your spring trends? for their BlogHer feature on bloggers' tips for looking your best.

I've already partaken in the major spring 2012 trend of color, color, color, by snatching up a pair of fire-engine-red, patent leather loafers on sale at Target for $12. Yes, $12. They look purposely-super-preppy with dark-wash jeans and a navy-and-white striped sailor top, and equally as classic with cropped chinos and a white tee. I also found an always-stylish pair of leapoard-print ballets, which can be paired with any bright spring basics, from jeans and a tee to ankle pants, a crisp chino skirt, or a solid-colored shirtdress. Once the warm weather hits, I plan to add more trendy color to my closet by snagging a vivid, cheery sundress or two (I wear them to death all summer) and a cute new coverup for the pool.

So as you can see, the trend of note this year is color. I'm not planning on drastically altering my basic style by shopping for wild florals, peplum jackets, or anything uber-impractical for my busy-mom life. But color is one trend anyone can buy into--and look great doing so, too.

What's on your spring style agenda? Share your style plans, and read about others', at the Life Well Lived page. Then go on over to the BlogHer Life Well Lived sweepstakes and enter to win a Kindle Fire! (Awesome, right?)

2 comments:

Maria Niles said...

Those red loafers are fantastic! Red can almost work as a neutral since it pairs so well with so many looks. And I love how you make trends work for your wardrobe - thanks for this great, practical advice:

"I'm not planning on drastically altering my basic style by shopping for wild florals, peplum jackets, or anything uber-impractical for my busy-mom life. But color is one trend anyone can buy into--and look great doing so, too."

Pinkie said...

Red is a great way to wake up an outfit. I usually go for pastel colors but would love some red shoes to brighten things up.