Thursday, April 19, 2012

Simple and Delicious Family Cooking: Chocolate Chip Walnut Squares


photo courtesy bettycrocker.com


Today Genevieve and I made this recipe out of the Betty Crocker Cookie Book for a dear friend's birthday. I had been planning on making my signature brownies, but I forgot I only had one egg left in the house (crazy!) and I didn't feel like going to the store. Then, in anticipation of the brownies, I had only softened one stick of butter, so I couldn't make any other recipe that called for just one egg but a whole cup of butter.

Genevieve and I combed pretty much the entire cookbook to find a recipe we deemed birthday-suitable (read: not just some boring regular chocolate chip cookie or anything like that) and for which we had all the ingredients. (Actually, we didn't have all the ingredients, so I used walnuts in place of the original pecans, and mini-chocolate chips and white chocolate chips in place of the original regular chocolate chips and/or butterscotch chips.)

I'm telling you all this to impress upon you that, despite all this ingredient-wrangling and recipe-searching, these sweets are so unbelievably delicious that they were well worth the trouble. Because yes, we DID keep a few for ourselves. And then I gave myself a stomachache by "sampling" too much of them at one time. OMG rich. OMG to die for.

Chocolate Chip Walnut Squares
makes 24 to 36

Crust Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 T. softened butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

Filling Ingredients:
1 stick softened butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts

Topping:
1/2 cup chocolate, butterscotch, and/or white chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With an electric mixer, mix flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 3 T. softened butter until mixed and crumbly. Press this mixture into an ungreased 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" pan.

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar until boiling, stirring constantly. Let boil for 1 minute. Take off heat and add vanilla and walnuts. Stir to combine. Pour mixture over the crust.

Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until filling is bubbly. Sprinkle with chocolate or butterscotch chips, then put back into oven for 2 minutes, until chips are softened. DO NOT SPREAD. Let pan cool for 10 minutes, then run a sharp knife around the edges of the pan. Let cool the rest of the way, and cut into small squares or rectangles. Store in refrigerator.

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

Can't even look at the photo! Too good. If it pictured pecans I'd be a goner.

Mom said...

And you still have your one egg as well?? They do look yummy!