Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Simple and Delicious Family Cooking: Whole-Wheat Cinnamon Rhubarb Bread

Holla, readers, I am back! For reals this time! This mama has a working computer again, and all is right with the world. Please don't remind me that the last time I said that the computer broke again within hours.

So what have you been up to? I feel like I've been gone for a year. I have so much to say. But let's ease back into things, shall we? I've been doing a lot of baking lately--as usual--and since it is spring, I'd like to share with you a particularly spring-y recipe I developed last week after cutting some rhubarb from my neighbor's little patch. (She told me I could. I did not stalk her rhubarb and steal it under cover of night.)

This bread is truly delish. Enjoy it for breakfast, serve it to your kids for after-school snack, put it in lunch boxes for a sweet yet healthy treat.

 

Whole-Wheat Cinnamon Rhubarb Bread
16 slices

 Ingredients:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1-1/2 cup white or Ultragrain all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1-1/2 to 2 cups fresh, washed, diced rhubarb stalks (could use frozen although I've never tried it)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large loaf pan with baking spray.

In a large bowl, mix sugars and oil until smooth. Add egg, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix well. In a separate large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Stir to combine but do not overmix. Fold in rhubarb.

Bake about 60 minutes or until bread is browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. You may need to lay a sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the pan partway through baking if bread becomes brown before it is done on the inside, to prevent burning. Check occasionally. Adjust baking time as needed.

Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes before turning out onto the rack to cool. Let cool completely before slicing, although it will be hard to wait that long to eat it.

No comments: