Thursday, June 07, 2012

BlogHer Life Well Lived: Beauty and Style Resources for the Busy Mom

Hey, it's that time again! Time for me, as a member of the Life Well Lived panel of featured bloggers, to answer a fun BlogHer Life Well Lived question. This week's question is,

What are your favorite fashion, style and beauty resources?

I'm not a high-maintenance girl, but even a busy stay-at-home mom like me needs tips and info on the latest beauty products and style trends, right? I mean, I'm not one to care about Fashion Week or buy expensive concoctions at the department store cosmetics counter, but I do care about hair products, makeup, skin care, and clothes--in my own casual-preppy, busy-mom, budget-conscious kind of way. So where do I look for fun ideas and information on beauty and style?


My first instinct in answering this question is to list online resources. For example, I am a huge fan of mama-style blogger Susan Wagner, because I've been following her for years--since her own kids were small--and I feel she understands the typical mom. You can read her at The Working Closet, where she smartly combines chic know-how with a down-to-earth, every-day-mom sensibility.   

For beauty tips--especially hair-related--my go-to site is (no surprise) whoorl.com. Sarah James, of Hair Thursday fame, is prettier, more polished, thinner, and far more stylish than I am--and yet she's also relatable and accessible, because she's so cute and sweet that you honestly feel like you could sit down for coffee with her and discuss skinny jeans and toddler tantrums. I mean, who doesn't love her? The whole world loves her. You will too.

Pinterest is another great resource for beauty and style--particularly for getting a general idea about certain looks and testimonials for particularly products. I love scrolling through Pinterest and seeing images of certain outfits, getting ideas of how to wear my own clothes and jewelry.

Personally, I don't stop at the Internet, though. Honestly, my favorite beauty and style resource by far is Redbook magazine. (And I'm talking about the print, hold-in-your-hands version, people, NOT the online mag.) If you haven't read Redbook since your mom had a subscription when you were a kid, you're in for a delightful surprise. Redbook is gorgeous, glossy, and totally engaging--and chock-full of fashion spreads, style tips, beauty product reviews, and hairstyling ideas that are glamorous and beautiful while also being completely doable and reasonable for the "regular" woman--especially the mom who wants to look polished and stylish even if she's short on time and energy. LOVE.

So there you go: my favorite go-to resources for fashion and beauty ideas. What about you? Do you have any great resources to share? Tell me! And don't forget to go visit the BlogHer post on this question and join the discussion there. You can even enter the BlogHer Life Well Lived sweepstakes to win an iPod Touch!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really
well written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.
My page - How To Get A Girl To Like You