Monday, June 11, 2012

Poor Turnout, Good Review: Scenes From the Life of an Author

So, yesterday I was supposed to do a reading from my book at a coffeehouse in a town two hours away. I say "supposed to," because NO ONE SHOWED. However, I wasn't terribly upset. I've heard enough stories about authors--even ones who aren't complete unknowns, unlike me--having this exact experience to know that it can happen to anyone! I was, however, bothered about all that travel time and gas invested in the endeavor--for nothing. 
 
Well, not quite for nothing, because my husband and I packed up my book copies, put the kids back in the car, and headed to the big beach in town. (I had packed the girls' swim stuff because Christopher had been planning to take the girls to swim/play while I did my reading.) We re-cast the adventure as a family day trip to the beach in Winona, and ended the day with dinner and ice cream at a pub downtown. Because of the two-hour drive each way, we didn't get home until after 8 p.m., so it was a long day for zero book sales, but what can you do? I considered it a good lesson for my girls in the ups and downs of life, perseverance, and turning lemons into lemonade.
 
Just so we don't end this little story with talk of lemons, how do you like this latest customer review of my book on Amazon? I like it just fine, and I think all the moms in Winona, MN, really missed out yesterday when they decided to stay home or go elsewhere rather than attend my book reading! From my book's Amazon listing:
 
Customer Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Like chatting with a really smart mom-friend over coffee, June 7, 2012
This review is from: The Essential Stay-at-Home Mom Manual: How to Have a Wondrous Life Amidst Kids and Chaos (Paperback)
I was hesitant to buy this book, because I was afraid I would be wasting money on a book just filled with cliches or stating the obvious. But I am SO GLAD that I took a chance and bought the book; it is wonderful. I've been a stay at home mom for a couple of years already, and even though it's a dream come true for me in many ways, it is also a very strange type of job: isolating, confusing, frustrating and frequently misunderstood by others. This book brilliantly articulates so many of the tough aspects of being a stay at home mom, and it also provides great advice and perspective to help moms get the most joy and satisfaction out of the experience. The author has wonderful insights (I suspected she was spying on me a few times) and a really natural voice. You'll read the book and then want to meet her down at Starbucks for a chat to thank her.

1 comment:

Rita said...

No one came? This makes me wish I'd gotten in my car and driven ther myself. (Yes, I realize it would have taken me 15 hours or something, BUT STILL).