Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Summer Solo Parenting


 Solo-parenting and summer are in full swing. The girls and I have launched our 2nd annual ABC Summer, and are busy doing lots of D and E activities this week. (Click the link for an explanation about why we don't start with A and B.) As I did last year, I'll post a report each Friday about our ABC endeavors for that week; if you're following along, you can use those ideas for future weeks of your own (whether or not you're using the alphabet as a guiding structure). We all know how helpful it can be to get ideas for keeping young children occupied during the long days of summer.

Because I'm on my own this week, I still don't have time to sit down and write very much, nor post a bunch of photos, so bear with me, fellow moms--you know how it is, don't you?! Five days of solo-parenting means you basically never sit down, so...this is about all the time I have for blogging. Not that I don't have a ton of ideas for posts, because I do, but they will have to wait a little bit.

In the meantime, we're going to the pool, resuming our summer Popcorn Wednesday tradition, planting pansy seedlings, going for walks, reading, playing, and soaking up the sunshine. Then I collapse into bed at night.

If you live in southern Minnesota, please consider coming out to my book reading and signing this Sunday in Winona! I'll be at The Acoustic Cafe at 3 p.m. on Sunday, June 10th, and I'd love to meet any area moms who need something to do that afternoon that doesn't involve kids' sunscreen and/or peewee soccer practice.

Happy Wednesday, mamas!

1 comment:

Heidi Mann said...

We decided to do ABC Summer too. This week is V -- Vacation Bible School, Venus (we learned a little about it online and viewed pics of the Transit of Venus), visiting (hopefully getting to see some friends around town that we haven't seen for a while), and maybe learning about the violin, as Gabe has been interested in it whenever he sees someone playing it and I *think* I can finagle a little of our school music teacher's time (she gives summer lessons at the school) for him to learn a bit about it and maybe even try one.

We haven't settled on our second letter, and it's already Wed., so this might be a one-letter week. He did find an octopus-making art activity he wants to try. Maybe that will happen tomorrow or Friday or over the weekend.