Friday, August 24, 2012

2nd Annual ABC Summer Weekly Report: I and M


Our 2nd annual ABC Summer is winding down.We're running out of letters, and our Summer Books are filling up. Only a few pages are still empty at this point. The other pages are filled with my daughters' written and drawn memories of all the wonderful adventures we've had this summer, peppered with glued-in photos of many of our experiences. Priceless.

Toward the end of summer, we tend to lose motivation, and sometimes it's hard to get going with letter activities each week. After all, we're so busy with other things--the errands and playdates and sports and pool outings. But we usually gather steam at some point and end up doing a fairly good job squeezing ABC adventures into our days--as happened this week. We started off slowly with I- and M-themed library books, and ended strong with a field trip to Minneapolis to see Minnehaha Falls AND the Mississippi River (specifically, Lock and Dam #1, under the Ford Parkway Bridge). Have a look at our whole list:

I

* checked out library books about Insects, Iguanodons, and the cooking of Italy
* played with colored Ice outside on the patio
* ate Ice cream sundaes

colored ice! so fun.

M

* checked out library books about Mexico, the Mississippi River, and Monkeys
* made apple-cinnamon Multi-grain Muffins:


 
* had a "Movie day" (a cartoon DVD, pillows, and snacks during quiet time)
* went to Minneapolis to see Minnehaha Falls and the Mississippi River (that's 3 M's, people!)

The falls are usually far more impressive than this. We have been having a drought in MN this year, sadly. Minnehaha Falls Park is a famous Minneapolis landmark and is truly beautiful and a bit awe-inspiring. After all, these falls were here hundreds of years ago, before settlers and cities. And Henry Wadsworth Longfellow immortalized them in his famed poem, "The Song of Hiawatha."

Our "field trip" to Minneapolis was especially fun because Minnehaha Falls Park is in my old neighborhood--where Christopher and I lived when Julia was born, until she was 18 months old. I drove the girls past our old house--tiny, shabby, on a scruffy, tight, inner-city street--and the little park at the end of the block where I brought Julia near-daily as a baby. I drove them down blocks I once pushed the stroller along several times a day, and past the two city lakes--Hiawatha and Nokomis--we used to play near and run or bike around. It was a little surreal. I haven't been back there since we moved away 6-1/2 years ago, and it brought back a rush of memories of my pre-baby and then new-mom days.
Any ABC Summer week that includes eating ice-cream sundaes, watching a movie, baking, and hiking around a gorgeous Minneapolis urban wilderness is fine by me, let me tell you. We had a GREAT time. I hope you had a good week, too.

No comments: