Thursday, August 30, 2012

Scratch That


Apparently the morning of Back-to-School Open House is the time when tentative excitement and relief over getting a break from nonstop kid-duty all summer once school begins next week morphs into the usual horrified sadness that school begins next week. Because while yesterday I was still feeling pretty exhausted from 12 weeks of Super-Mom-ing and looking forward to the major transition that will come next Tuesday when my kiddos leave me all day for the first time, this morning I've got my old familiar sad-stomachache which translates to, "Noooooooo!!!! It can't be time for my kiddos to go back to school!" (Also applies to, "Noooooo!!!! My kiddos can't already be done with __ and __ grades!", on the last day of school.)

I hate the stomachache. It is destined to be with me now at least through next Wednesday. Possibly all next week. It will be especially acute this afternoon, at Back-to-School Open House, when the tasks will be to drop off school supplies, meet teachers, fill out dozens of forms, find cubbies, etc., but I will be distracted the entire time by my mama instinct to cry. And of course next Tuesday, when the bus pulls away, I'll be a miserable wreck. I still cannot wrap my brain around the fact that little tiny Genevieve is going to be at school all day from now on. It's such a long day. She's so little.

But then, I'm well familiar with this stomachache. It's there for awhile, then it miraculously disappears. Everyone does fine--even me. We figure out our routines and schedules, and adjust to what first seems difficult. Our stamina improves. It all works out.

And there's no doubt that for me, it's going to be a whole new adventure. I can't even picture what my new life is going to look like right now. Will you come along with me, to see? I hope so.

No comments: