Friday, September 14, 2012

Moving your Fingers on the Keyboard Doesn't Count as Activity.

Get moving.

Wow, I'm really phoning it in here this week, aren't I? Would it help to know that I've already had one sick child, and now I've caught it from her, too? (Not bad enough to stay home from school, but you know how it is when you've got a cold--it sort of drains energy from everything else for awhile.) Mainly we're still bouncing around trying to get into a solid school-year routine. It's always an adjustment period.

One of the strangest things for me has been missing my kids. In the eight years I've been a mom, I have rarely (we're talking once or twice) had the opportunity to miss them--you know, seeing as how I've been physically with them for pretty much every minute of every day. Even when Julia started school, I still had Genevieve with me, which kept me distracted from missing Julia. Now they're both gone every weekday and it's a completely new experience to have feelings of missing them. It makes me extra-happy to meet the school bus every afternoon and hear all about their days.

This week I've been experimenting with this new pedometer I recently purchased. Everyone knows that experts recommend adults take 10,000 steps a day for optimal health; and lately the health news is overrun with stories about studies that show that even if you're an avid exerciser, if you sit for several hours a day (can't remember; is it six?), all the other exercise you do doesn't do a thing to negate the deadly health effects of those hours of sedentary behavior. (What the what, now? That hardly seems fair.) We're all supposed to sit at our desks and computers (and on our sofas and in front of our televisions) a whole lot less each day, and move around a whole lot more.

Even though I'm a runner, I wondered if I was really all that active during the other parts of my day, or on my non-running days (I only run 4 days a week)--especially now that my kids are old enough that I don't need to chase after them all day or carry them on my hip. Mothering babies and toddlers is way more physical than mothering school-agers. Plus, I sit at the computer and waste time on Facebook--oops, I mean write--an awful lot, you know? We all know that's not burning any calories. I'm getting older, my metabolism is slowing down, so I thought I'd better find out exactly how many steps I take on a typical day, and probably try to increase it. Hence the pedometer. Well, it's been a fascinating week with this little machine and when I have time I'll tell you all about it. Maybe it'll even spur you to buy your own pedometer.

Onward to the weekend. We've got a little family day trip planned, plus the girls start swimming lessons again, so we'll be busy. As always.

No comments: