Friday, October 05, 2012

Fall Fun (In the Picture)

Yesterday fall arrived here. On Wednesday I took the girls on a hike with a group of friends after school, and the kids all wore shorts and t-shirts and ran around and got sweaty. Yesterday after school they asked for hats and mittens.

Despite the change in weather, yesterday was a glorious day. I put the kiddos on the bus and immediately did a 6-mile run in the woods and across the prairie, where the 40 mph wind gusts gave me an extra-hard workout. Afterward, I spent the rest of the day baking and cooking--a blissful thing to do on a blustery, chilly autumn day. I made granola, pumpkin bread, chocolate/white-chocolate chip cookies, and an egg/ham/kale casserole, for dinner.

When the girls came home we went out into the backyard to rake, jump in leaves, and generally embrace the season. And since this piece from Huffington Post Parents has been (justifiably) making the rounds this week (read it; it's very moving), I got in a couple of the pictures--somehow. So, in the spirit of Allison Tate's essay, I leave you with this:



Better than nothing, right? You go and get in the picture too, mamas. Have a good weekend.

1 comment:

tricia*kushman*anderson said...

That HP article was wonderful! Thanks for sharing. I often think about this topic. I have to hand the camera to someone else and yell, "I need to be in a photo!"