Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

It's finally the day my children have been pining for since, oh, about July. It's Halloween! I'm surprised they even slept last night. Especially since they had seen an episode of "Arthur" on PBS Kids yesterday that apparently featured zombies? And they were too scared to go to bed. Thanks a lot, PBS Kids.

So, what will you be doing today to celebrate Halloween? I will be helping at BOTH my daughters' Halloween parties at school, one after the other, which means that from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, I will be in the company of shrieking, laughing, overly-excited 1st- and 3rd-graders dressed in costumes. I might as well get a cocktail ready for myself for 3:30 p.m. right now! Yes?

I also plan to make my traditional Halloween supper, which is Jack O'Lantern Sloppy Joes. For those of you who still need a quick and very easy idea for dinner tonight, here's what you do. You take a tube of pre-made biscuit dough (Pillsbury makes an all-natural kind called Simple something? Or Simply something? It's in a white package) and flatten each biscuit on a baking sheet so it makes a nice-sized circle. Bake a few minutes or until puffed and golden brown (check directions on package, and improvise). Spread hot sloppy joe filling (I make a meat-free soy-protein version made by Fantastic Foods) on the circles, then top each with a slice of cheddar cheese from which you've trimmed off the corners and into which you've carefully cut small triangle eyes, a nose, and a jack o'lantern mouth (use a paring knife, and don't get too worked up about appearances). See? Easy.

Here are my daughters in their Halloween costumes this year. They dressed up on Sunday to go to a kids' carnival at the college where my husband works. Genevieve is a cat. Julia is the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland. These were both their own ideas, and Julia came up with the elements of her costume completely on her own, from hand-me-down velvet jacket to old cardboard top hat from a New Year's party several years ago and handmade paper bow tie.



Could not be any easier. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm not one of those creative, crafty moms who sews or hot-glues elaborate homemade costumes. Our kids' costumes tend to come out of the dress-up stuff in our playroom, at the last minute. This is the first year I've even had to make anything with construction paper and tape (kitty ears), or an old pair of tights stuffed with paper towels (kitty tail). That's about the extent of my Halloween costume-making ability.

Have fun today!

1 comment:

Mom/Nonna said...

Love the costumes! Everyone did a great job! Enjoy the day!!