Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Brother-in-Law Promises Me This is Building Up my Future Immunity.

random photo of my daughter reading in a box, because it's cute

Oh my. More strings of days gone by without me writing here. So sorry, friends! Let me tell you. I've been out of town, and I've been sick, and the kids have been on school break. None of which lends itself to regular blogging. However, here I am today. My brain is a mish-mash of unrelated thoughts, however, so humor me as I lump them all in one post today.

On a daily basis--sometimes on an hourly basis, I swear--I give thanks for my job as a stay-at-home mom (yes, even when we're down to our last dollars ten days before the end of the month, like we are now, and when an upcoming freelance writing payment of $43 is looked upon with relief because hey, $43 will help a little bit this week).

That's because when there are young children in the house, the busy-ness never ends (I'm told this continues even when the children are not "young" anymore), and it can get overwhelming and anxiety-provoking to realize and consider all the things crowding around the edges of your days and filling up your calendar. Whenever I start to get anxious about everything there is to do, everything that's coming up, everything that needs my attention, it's a huge relief to be able to remind myself that I have time to do all of it, it's my job to do all of it, I am given TIME to do all of it.

I have so much more time to attend to household/family obligations and needs now that both girls are in school all day than I ever have before. I don't have to squeeze every big and little task into tiny snatches of time and space between each childcare need and kid activity. I don't have to rush and race through every single to-do item because time is so scarce. I have the time. And I have it because, even though both my children are in all-day school, I'm still a stay-at-home mom. THANK GOD.

I'm so happy to see my babes every day when they run off the school bus at 3:30, but in between the morning and afternoon bus, I work and work and work and get all the things done that families need done. Then I can properly enjoy my children from 3:30 until bedtime. It's wonderful.

So I'm broke, but happy. Does that make sense?

On the next completely unrelated note, life is weird. We went up north for school break, and it was cold, rainy, wet, windy, and gray the entire time--from the moment we got in the car to leave until we arrived home. Then the minute we got back from our little trip, it turned sunny and lovely, and today it is slated to be 70 degrees outside. Just in time for me to be horribly sick (read: no running, no outside play for me) and for the kiddos to go back to school. Boo.

cousins playing (crowdedly) inside at grandparents' house, 
because there was no playing outside in that weather

Then there's the fact that, because the cat has not thrown up for many, many months, I finally had our carpets professionally-cleaned last week, to the tune of a hefty invoice that left us broke. Then we went out of town and came back to find....that the cat had thrown up. On the carpet. Of course. 

Also: while up north, I slept on the couch because in the past the guest bed has given me a debilitating pinched nerve in my neck and shoulder. Then we came home and I slept in my own bed and today I woke up with....a pinched nerve in my neck and shoulder. I currently cannot turn my head to the left. I haven't had this malady in at least two years, and it pops up immediately after sleeping on the couch so that the mattress wouldn't give me a pinched nerve? What the?

See? Isn't life weird?

Lastly, on another unrelated note, writer Rita Arens has an interesting piece up on BlogHer today about parenting a gifted child. As a formerly gifted child now parenting two gifted children--including one who is off-the-charts-prodigy-like in her gifted-ness--I found this piece very interesting. Rita includes an excerpt of an article about gifted children that is revelatory to her, and it was to me, too. It describes PERFECTLY my personal experience as a smart person with this particular temperament, as it did for Rita. It reminded me that this is how my daughters are, too, and I had better remember that as I parent them. If you are the parent of a gifted child, were one yourself, or otherwise have contact with gifted children, I recommend you read Rita's column. It's not terribly long, and it's very insightful and helpful.

Blah, blah, blah, right? Sorry for the wandering collection of random information. I'll be back later this week hopefully feeling better, able to turn my head, and with more interesting things to say. In the meantime, happy October Sunday. It's a gorgeous day out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this link...so freaking important. I was weeping halfway through the article....recognizing that what makes my daughter bright and amazing also presents huge challenges for her. We're homeschooling her for now, but I'm not sure this will always be the best answer. This reminds me that meeting her needs is always dynamic, often exhausting and forever rewarding. --sara