Friday, November 09, 2012

A Month of Thanksgiving

And cookies. Cookies are good, too. (This photo is turned wrong-side up and I don't know why.)

 Some of my friends on Facebook are doing this thing where for the month of November, they consciously and publicly state something they are thankful for each day. The point is to remind yourself of your blessings, not just on Thanksgiving Day, but every day.

I love this idea, but I'm nine days behind. And I can't promise I'll remember to do it every day. But I think I'll try, and I'll do it here. Because doing it here is a good way to (hopefully) remember it--this month of gratitude.

So I guess I'd better catch up. For the first nine days of November, nine things I am thankful for:

1. I am thankful that I can help another mama in need, through Holiday Hands.

2. I am so, so thankful for my daughters, who truly make every day worth living and have changed my life for the better a million times over in ways I cannot even articulate but which every parent understands.

3. I am thankful to have a partner for this parenting and life journey. It's a hard road and parenting is, for me, a two-person job.

4. I am thankful both my parents are alive. In the past few months two friends my age have lost their mothers to cancer, and another friend has lost his dad. I have watched them grieve and my heart aches for them.

5. I am thankful for a strong, healthy body that will never be model-perfect but that serves me well in the ways that matter: it gave me babies, it runs, it sees and hears, it carries groceries and lifts children, it does what it's supposed to do. Or at least what it's supposed to do most of the time.

6. I am thankful to my core for my beloved, cherished, could-not-live-without-them gang of friends, the ones near and far who make each day better; share my parenting journey and let me share theirs; love my kids and let me love theirs; understand what makes me laugh, cry, feel better when I'm sick, and get through the week; let me complain when I'm cranky and humor me when I tell an overly long story; and love me for being me.

7. I am thankful for running, and for the wooded and prairie trails on which I run--all of which feeds my soul and fills me up like medicine.

8. I am thankful for central air, heat, running water, electricity, hot water heaters, washers and dryers, refrigerators, toilets, stoves, and television. Wait, is that 11 days' worth of things?

9. I am so incredibly thankful that last night and the night before, I got to sleep snuggled up in my big bed with my two little girls, because there is no greater bliss on this planet, and no greater love.

Ahhh. Being thankful is awesome. Night-night.
xoxo

No comments: