Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Guest Post by Fellow Mama-Blogger Katie Moore: Feeling Good by Eating Well and Working Out During Pregnancy


One of my favorite things about blogging is connecting with the amazing community of fellow mama-bloggers out there in the world. One such like-minded mama is Katie Moore, a stay-at-home mom and blogger with a passion for healthy living, natural foods, and wellness. Katie is here today, writing on nutrition and exercise during pregnancy. Read on for her tips on staying healthy and managing cravings as a mama-to-be!  ~Shannon

From Katie: 

Being pregnant is one of the most fun, most memorable, and most exciting things I’ve ever done, and I’m sure I’m not the only mom who feels the same. I was pregnant once and was blessed with a beautiful, healthy little girl. When my husband and I made the decision to start a family, I made it my personal mission to be as healthy as possible while pregnant. I knew it was important to the health of my unborn child, my own health, and to the overall labor experience. I knew that being healthy was something I could control in a process of so many things I cannot control.

To begin, I began researching, learning, and becoming aware. I became educated on the changes my body was going to go through, I studied different delivery options; procedures like cord blood banking and circumcision, and was aware of what I needed to do to give my daughter the best possible start in life.

One of the first things I learned to do when I had a pregnancy craving was to give in to it! Yes, that’s right, I gave in--however, I did not always give into my cravings by eating cookies or brownies or calling every Girl Scout I know asking for extra boxes of thin mints. Instead, I figured out healthier ways to satisfy my cravings. For example, one way I handled my cravings when I wanted something sweet was to dip strawberries into melted dark chocolate. The taste was amazing and the chocolate and strawberry combination was sure to satisfy all my cravings while giving me some nutritional value as well. Sometimes when I wanted something sweet in the morning I’d indulge in whole-wheat toast topped with honey.




When my body craved salty foods, I ate crackers and cheese. Sometimes I also had pasta and chicken sausage mixed with grilled or roasted red and green bell peppers and onions. I never felt like I was missing out on eating chips or other salty, unhealthy foods. Adding plenty of fruits and vegetables to your diet when you are pregnant is a great way to get more vitamins and minerals that are so important into your body. Additionally, salmon and whole grains are also amazing for your body when pregnant. Salmon is not one of the fish you should avoid, as it isn’t high in mercury. It’s light and healthy in addition to being filled with nutrients. 



 
Working out is just as important as eating right. Walking with my husband in the evenings and doing 30 minutes of prenatal yoga with a DVD in the mornings gave me so much energy, helped me sleep better at night, eliminated my fatigue, and helped me with my backaches. I had plenty of energy from eating right and exercising. Additionally, I felt less stress and anxiety. I read and learned through experience that eating right and working out help to produce good chemicals in the body that help you feel better and alleviate symptoms of stress and anxiety.

My doctor told me that eating right and exercising helped prepare my body for labor, which is what I figure made my labor go pretty smoothly. I would recommend working out and eating right to anyone who is expecting a baby. The energy, health effects, and level of happiness I felt when I was eating healthy and exercising was immeasurable. Anyone carrying a baby should work out and eat well to support a healthy, happy delivery and baby. 


Katie Moore is an active blogger who discusses the topics of motherhood, children, fitness, health and all other things Mommy. She enjoys writing, blogging, and meeting new people! To connect with Katie contact her via her blog, Moore From Katie or her twitter, @moorekm26.

No comments: