Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Post-Election

I went to bed at 7:30 p.m. (CST) last night because I am sick with a cold, and it just about killed me to do it. I would have so loved to have stayed up camped out on the sofa, stress-nibbling Halloween candy and watching the results come in from each battleground state. Most of all, I would have loved to have seen and heard the moment of realization, and President Obama's acceptance speech. Four years ago I stayed awake until the very end, and the moment when NBC's Brian Williams paused for a suspenseful and almost crackling second and then said something like, "There will be small children in the White House again for the first time in many years..." was one of the most exciting moments of my life. Truly.

2008. Yes I used my toddlers to celebrate my personal political agenda.

I don't talk politics here very often, because this is not the place. I really believe that our commonalities as mamas, as parents, as families, transcend our differences of opinion about government, and if you're a friend with a different opinion than mine I want it to always be clear that I still respect and enjoy you. It's OK for us to disagree. We are all still important and worthy of respect, and it's wonderful to live in a country where we can all have our say. And I teach my children that as well.

I will say today that it is a profound relief to me, as a parent, to have a President with young children, a President who is a dad to children not yet grown--a parent like me. If nothing else (though there is plenty else), at the end of the day I know that he wants a healthy, happy, fair, kind, safe, and thriving country for his daughters--I can tell this; anyone can tell this by watching any footage whatsoever of him interacting with his children--and mine will benefit from that, too. No, he's not perfect. Yes, he's made mistakes. That's because he's human, and he has the hardest job on the planet, and his Republican colleagues refused time and time again to compromise even the smallest bit on anything. But a clear reading of a list of his accomplishments is impressive, and rivals many historically beloved and respected other Presidents. So I'm good with that.

Oops, I'm talking politics. Moving on!

Actually, no. I'll save everything else for another day. This day is big, and full, enough--no matter your political persuasion.

Love you! All of you.


No comments: