Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thankful for a High of Sixty Degrees.

November's not over yet, so I think I'll keep up my thankfulness list for a few more days. And I know I haven't written since Wednesday, so I'm behind a few, too. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, with plenty of leftover pie. I pulled off a great dinner if I do say so myself. See, you get to openly brag like that when you shop for, prep, and cook the entire feast start to finish completely by yourself. Can you believe it? Yes, I'm still standing. (Ha.)

I am thankful that on Thanksgiving Day, the weather was like this:


Even though later on it turned into this:


No, I'm kidding a little with that last photo. But Thursday was a CRAZY day, weather-wise. It was 60 degrees by about noon. I went trail running at 8:30 a.m. and it was already warm and sunny enough for me to wear my shortest running skirt over bare legs and just a t-shirt on top. Didn't I say crazy? Then a cold front literally BLEW in, and by four or five o'clock, the temp had fallen to the high 20s and it was gray, blustery, and sleeting. When we woke up on Friday morning, there was a dusting of snow (it didn't stick) and the windchill was 9 degrees. The state climatologist was on public radio saying that this was a record for the greatest temperature swing on Thanksgiving Day in recorded history. Yikes!

Still, I was very, VERY thankful to do a six-mile run in bare legs on Thanksgiving Day, basking in the sun and the beautiful countryside.

As for Friday and today, I am thankful for Christmas decorations and Christmas music. They always put me in the holiday spirit. Yesterday the girls and I decorated the whole house (except for the tree; that's not up yet) while Grandma and Daddy went shopping (ugh). We put on carols and ventured into the storage closet to pull out all our favorite candles, nativity sets, wreaths, Santas, and snowman figurines. We put the Christmas runner on the table and found the girls' Santa placemats, plates, and cups. We dug out our stack of Christmas storybooks that now sit in a basket on little lamp table by the toy and book corner. Love it.

Today, I am thankful that I am not the one who is driving my mother-in-law to the airport at 6:30 a.m. Sure, I've been up for 90 minutes but I still don't want to be driving to the airport at this ungodly hour.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend and I'll see you back here on Monday! Here's one for tomorrow: I am thankful for all of you. Truly, I am.

No comments: