Friday, November 09, 2012

You Can Be a Part of the Love Revolution Too.


So, as you know, recently a fellow mama-warrior sent me a wonderful, unbidden, heart-happy surprise. 

(Which reminds me, yes, I am drawing names today to win a copy of my book, The Essential Stay-at-Home Mom Manual. Check back later today!) 

The best part about the surprise was the Love Revolution-aspect of it: the part where I promise to surprise another fellow mama sometime when I'm able, with an unbidden gift.

I've been brainstorming what I'll give, and who I'll give it to, when I go on my runs these days. Sometimes I catch myself smiling as I run through the woods, thinking and planning how to carry on the movement.

I don't think it's a coincidence, in the universe, that yesterday Glennon over at Momastery launched her 2nd annual Monkee Holiday Hands project. You can--and I urge you to--read all about it over there, including detailed directions for how to participate at any level, but as a quick explanation I'll just say that it's an ingenious way to give to others, families in need of food or Christmas gifts or winter coats for their kids or diapers or what have you, this holiday season. Momastery does it now, though, before the holidays begin, so you can participate and then be done and ready to do all the other things you need to do in your own life for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The needs are both large and small. And heck, maybe you have a need; you can post one if you want to. If you're in the position to give--whether a dollar or a hundred dollars; a tiny gift or a huge one--there are pages of listings to browse, so you can find the request that fits you best.

For example, I just responded to a request from a mom in Michigan who doesn't have enough extra grocery money this year to do any holiday baking for her kids. She's asking for someone to send homemade holiday goodies to her family.


You guys. Have you ever heard of a need better suited to me? I get to indulge in one of my favorite activities--baking--and send it to someone else. And although my family doesn't have much extra this year, and wouldn't be able to buy someone else, say, a bevy of Christmas gifts for their kids or a crib for their baby, I will be baking for sure; and we can spare some of those treats for a family who needs them this year.
 

(I need tips though, you all, about sending treats through the mail. I know nothing about this. Help!)

My daughters will love to help with this, too. They love to make holiday cookies and goodies, and the idea of making some for other children somewhere who wouldn't have them otherwise? That will thrill their little hearts.

Holiday Hands requests are not surprises, technically. So I am still plotting my Warrior-Mama-Love-Revolution gift idea. It will come in time, probably in the new year, when my husband re-starts his extra, part-time job so we have enough money to pay our bills again. But for now my heart is full with the love from the surprise from my mama friend, and with the knowledge that my girls and I can help someone else this holiday season.

Please consider doing the same, if you are able.

xoxoxo

No comments: