Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I've Got Bigger Fish to Fry.

I have had children in the neighborhood elementary school for 3-1/2 years now, and I've yet to figure out the school's online access feature for parents. Okay, so, it could be for lack of trying. Basically I'm hoping that both children get out of elementary school before anything bad happens as the result of me not taking the time to figure it out. (Although...then I have to figure out the middle school one. Or maybe they're all the same system? Gah!)

It was bad news from the start. Way back when Julia started kindergarten, I was barraged (as parents are) with forms and emails and papers about all sorts of administrative things, including contact options and whatnot. Back then, and since then, I've gotten emails related to the online system, but they lose me with all the names for it. Skyward? Family Access? Which is it? Are they the same? Why do I not know my password? Was I told what my password is? I have no idea.

I guess I did some of it right, because if school is cancelled due to a snowstorm, I get an automated phone call at five a.m., an e-mail, AND a voicemail on my cell phone. And when Julia's lunch money account was running low, I heard about it via multiple channels as well. (Once that happened, I stopped worrying about it. Obviously, the system was going to let me know when the money was running out!) However, because I had zero idea how to add money to the account via the online system, I just sent a check to school with Julia in an envelope labelled "Mrs. J_____." (A check! I know. This is me. I prefer the old-school route and I'm not ashamed to say so.) I guess it worked because I didn't get anymore messages about it. Not that I've actually checked the status just to see how much money is in there. I know I can do that (online), but I don't know how.

What? It's been working for me for 3-1/2 years, I'm sure it will work for another 4-1/2. Or....um...11-1/2. When both girls will be graduated from high school.



2 comments:

tricia*kushman*anderson said...

I keep forgetting to tell you that one of my fave things about you and reading your blog is your "GAH" statements. I LOVE THEM. I have no idea what you voice sounds like but when I read your blog I get to the GAH parts and imagine I am hearing you saying them. And it kinda reminds me of Homer Simpson's DOH statements. But in a really good way! : ) xo

Shannon said...

Tricia, you make me smile. :)