Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Slow Progress

A couple of days ago, I finally got all the blue painter's tape removed from the newly-painted master bathroom, and last night I finally finished touching up those little painting mistakes that inevitably occur unless you're a professional painter. For those keeping track, that's about 3-1/2 weeks after I painted the bathroom. In other words, the entire process took almost a month. (In my defense, I did go back and give it a second coat. But I haven't even started the "redecorating" part of the project, which includes replacing our raggedy towels with new bath linens to match the paint, installing a robe hook, and procuring and hanging new wall decor.)

Remember how I told you that when my girls were toddlers, it took me five weeks to paint the guest bedroom? And things go so much faster now that they're no longer toddlers? Hmmm. Well...apparently other things arise that take up one's time. Ha.

Of course, now I have the master bedroom left to paint. Let me tell you, if the bathroom took me 3-1/2 weeks, the bedroom might take me a year. I'm scared. I think I need to take a break and think on it for awhile.

In other news, our ice skating pond melted. It has rained for a couple of days now, and it was 39 degrees for awhile, and well....the pond is again a pond. I saw ducks swimming in it yesterday. Listen, anyone who doubts that climate change is real need only come live in Minnesota for awhile. The winters of my childhood--piles of snow, weeks of sub-zero temperatures, regular snowstorms--are no more. Now, we get snow and sub-zero temps sometimes, but in between crazy things happen like 39 degrees and rain in January. To a native Minnesotan, those phenomena are so strange that they border on the eerie and scary. Maybe not even "border on."

I was going to write about a little family project I have going on with my girls for 2013, but I'll wait on that and give it the solo post it deserves. Check back soon for details. I think you'll like it. In the meantime, cheers! Have a great day. January is almost over, and that's generally a good thing.

No comments: