Monday, February 11, 2013

Short Takes, Updates

On my birthday last Friday, my best mom friends took me to my town's new cupcake shop for (of course) a gourmet cupcake. OMG, you all. Words fail, so just go here and ogle the cupcakes. I tried the Salted Caramel. It was divine. Let me tell you, there is possibly nothing better than starting off your birthday with your favorite girlfriends at a cupcake bakery. These friends brought me completely unnecessary gifts that were each a perfect reflection of who I am and what I like, and gave me lovely birthday cards that I will keep for those inevitable future times when I need some shoring up. My friend Laura wrote, "You are a treasure," and I think that is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me.

Later in the day, my family feted me with a different sort of cake. The kind that was made from scratch by two small children and a culinarily-challenged dad. And it, too, was perfect, in its own crooked, sliding, questionably-frosted way. (I posted a photo taken with my phone on Facebook, but today for some reason the laptop won't import the photos on my iPhone, so I don't have a pic for you. Sorry. Ugh. Technology.)

Plenty of other, more mundane things happened this weekend, including an 8-mile run on the indoor track on Sunday late-afternoon that left me so sleepy that it was a true fight to stay awake through the (surprise) two-hour episode of "Downton Abbey." I mean, come on, people: 10 p.m. is WAY TOO LATE for me. Especially on long-run day. (Does anyone else get super sleepy after long runs? Regular runs do not do this to me; it's only long ones. They don't even leave me physically sore; they just conk me out in the evening.) I had to chain-snack Twizzler bites (from another perfectly-in-tune girlfriend, thanks Jess!) just to stay up until the end.

Blah, blah. Kind of boring. Sorry! Tell me what's going on with you. What did you do this weekend? Was cake involved?

No comments: