Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Writing Material

I was just talking with a fellow mom/blogger friend the other day about how sometimes you feel like your material has dried up--for the time being anyway. My days are full of parenting moments and the unlikely adventures of stay-at-home motherhood to children who aren't home all day anymore, but those moments rarely seem interesting enough to write about. Perhaps I'm wrong. I still have a second book idea inside of me, but so far that's where it's stayed. In the meantime, for those of you who care (hi, Mom!), here are a few things going on with me these days:

I'm officially tired of winter. It hasn't been a challenging year, mood-wise; I've actually enjoyed winter just fine this time around. But we're currently struggling through yet another super-sub-zero spell, our driveway and front walk are still a treacherous sheet of ice, and it's just getting old. A snowstorm is predicted for tomorrow night into Friday, and while the kids would love more snow to play in or--even better!--a snow day, snowstorms are getting a little old too. It's almost March. It's time for the weather to be easier to deal with.

I'm still running in circles around the track. For the most part I still like it. I'm still completely surprised by this. I love not having to dress for the weather or be miserably cold for the first half mile of my runs. Awesome! Almost all my runs these days are great; then occasionally there will be one that's super hard, even though my mileage is the same as always. Sometimes I struggle through; sometimes I bail after a short run and call it a day. As all runners know, along with the great runs come the not-so-great ones. They are often a mystery. Thankfully, the bad runs are rarer than they've ever been in my running life, probably because I do a lot of strength training too, and when you've got strong muscles, running is easier.

I'm now involved with two kids' book clubs: one for each daughter. For Genevieve, I volunteer-lead a first grade advanced-reader group that meets once a week at school. Those little six- and seven-year-olds are so enthusiastic, I just love it. With Julia, I'm in a mother-daughter book club for third grade girls and their moms, organized by my friend Kathy and meeting for the first time this coming weekend. We are reading The Thirteenth Princess right now, and speaking of that, I'd better get a move on, because I've got several chapters yet to go! This group will meet once a month, alternating houses and book choices. I'm excited to have something special to do with my eight-year-old. As Kathy says, it won't be long before our older girls won't be as interested in hanging out with and talking to their moms anymore. So we'd better grab the opportunity to have quality time with these fast-growing girls while we can.

And, just for fun, a list of my current random obsessions, some of which are new and some of which are not necessarily: the ABC drama "Nashville," Jillian Michaels' Killer Buns and Thighs (wow, hard), this hair tool, "The Chew," pumpkin muffins, Hershey's Kisses, spending less, my super-stylish Momastery top (a birthday gift), Burt's Bees grapefruit lip balm, running in circles, Junket (or is that my kids' obsession?), Warby Parker eyeglasses (I owe you a photo of my new specs), the "Glee" cast version of "The Scientist," this running blog, vegetarian spin-offs of old-school comfort food dinners, homemade buttercream icing, my super-warm bright pink parka, Brooks Adrenaline ASR trail running shoes, homemade cards from my daughters, reading in bed, and Diet Cherry Coke.

Have a most wonderful rest of your week, stay warm, and hang in.



No comments: