Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Best Homemade Granola Ever. For Reals.


Yesterday I made a version of granola that ended up being the best homemade granola ever. I basically fooled around with a random granola recipe I'd found in some magazine long ago, changing it up and adding some crazy stuff like Grape-Nuts cereal. It's kind of unconventional but if you have these ingredients around, I promise you'll love this recipe. I've made other homemade granola recipes numerous times, but this one takes the cake. As it were.

The Best Homemade Granola Ever
makes about 1-1/2 quarts. perhaps more if you don't keep sampling it as you make it.

Ingredients:
2 cups whole rolled oats
1 cup Cheerios cereal
1/2 - 3/4 cup Grape Nuts cereal (I like the larger amount)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 - 1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups add-ins: I used dried cranberries, roasted unsalted whole almonds, roasted lightly salted peanuts, and flaked unsweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl, mix oats, Cheerios, and Grape Nuts. In a separate bowl, whisk together canola oil, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Pour honey mixture over cereals and stir to coat thoroughly.

Spread granola out evenly on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until deeply golden brown, stirring every 5 minutes.

Leave on pan until completely cool. Once cool, crumble into large mixing bowl and stir in your add-ins. Store in airtight container. (I like to use large-mouthed Mason jars.)

Seriously: YUM.

1 comment:

tricia*kushman*anderson said...

I made some granola a few years ago from Smitten Kitchen recipe (I think) or Pink of Perfection blog recipe and it was DIVINE! I love homemade granola....homemade anything is the best! : )