Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Simple and Delicious Family Cooking: St. Patrick's Day Mint-Chocolate Chip Cookies

 
St. Patrick's Day is coming up! Now, despite my first and middle names, I am not Irish. Nor is my husband. So St. Patrick's Day isn't exactly a big thing in my household. But come on--green-tinted mint-chocolate cookies? Why not?! Yum. These are based on a recipe I found on babble.com last year, but I tweaked it so much that it's now become my own original. Enjoy.


St. Patrick's Day Mint-Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 3 dozen cookies, depending on size

Ingredients:

1-1/2 sticks softened butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 to 1 tsp. peppermint extract (to your taste; a little goes a long way. that said, I wish I'd used more)
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
8 (or so) drops green food coloring
1 cup semisweet, dark, or white chocolate chips, or a mix of all three as I used

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl, mix butter and sugar until well-combined. Add eggs, vanilla, and peppermint extract; mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt (or, just dump it all in with the wet ingredients and make sure the leavening gets mixed in evenly). Add flour etc. to butter-sugar mixture and stir until fully incorporated. Carefully scatter about 8 drops of liquid green food coloring onto the dough. Mix into the dough thoroughly. Add chocolate chips.

Roll generous teaspoons of dough into balls and flatten slightly between your palms before placing on baking sheet. Bake about 6 to 7 minutes--or more if your oven does not run hot like mine does or if you want a crisper cookie rather than a soft and chewy one. I started with 7 minutes and ended up with very browned cookie bottoms, which I did not prefer, so I gradually went down with the next sheets. Start low, then add in 30 second increments if needed.

Let cookies cool on baking sheet for a minute or two before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Eat, and feel very lucky.

No comments: