Friday, May 31, 2013

The End of the Last Full Week of School Before the End of the School Year (Got That?)




This is what the sky looked like when I walked outside at 3:15 to meet the afternoon school bus. It had rained for roughly two weeks straight (I'm rounding up) and then today the sun came out and this crazy wind blew up and this is what resulted.

We get clouds like this fairly often in my town--these extravagant, fake-looking Northfield clouds. My family has an especially good view of them out where we live, because (though you can't tell from the photos above) we live on the edge of the countryside, with vast farm fields to our south and east, which gives us an unimpeded view of the sky. I have friends who live in the middle of town who don't really see these dramatic skies because of the trees and roofs in the way. I love it when we get clouds like these. They are honestly one of my absolute favorite things about where I live.

Ah but I wasn't planning to come here to write about clouds.

Sometime later, if you are lucky, you might get to see photos and/or video of my daughters and their besties doing a homegrown dance routine to "You Don't Know You're Beautiful" by One Direction at their elementary school's Annual End-of-the-School-Year Talent Show on Tuesday night. The show was moved indoors due to rain and the picnic part of the evening was cancelled, but their performance was quite adorable (in a homegrown sort of way) and everyone seemed to appreciate it. Believe me, the girls practiced for HOURS and HOURS over several weeks to pull off these two minutes. And those hours involved the moms, keep in mind. So we had a lot invested in it. I just want the world to know that that was my first and last foray into choreography, OK? I'm done.

Other than that, you really don't want to know what my week was like. Trust me. However, it might be starting to look a little like this. So this is what I am leaving you with: one of the funniest things you will EVER READ. EVER. EVER. EVER. Or maybe only if you're a mom. All I know is that my mom friends were passing this around on Facebook today and my sides hurt from laughing. Read all the way to the last line. I promise it's worth it.

Oh, motherhood and the end of the school year. So much to say, so little energy.

It's my firstborn's 9th birthday party tomorrow and I've spent the day running birthday-related errands, cleaning the house, making vanilla buttercream icing, decorating cupcakes to look like a flower garden, and generally crossing things off a to-do list as long as my arm.



the decorating test run

I'm tired, you all. I need to put on my pj's and chill on the couch while I watch "Dateline." Don't give me that look. I know that's what half of you are doing tonight too. 

(Now go and read that post I linked to up there. Particularly if you are or ever have been the mom of a school-ager.)

Happy weekend, mamas.

No comments: