Thursday, May 09, 2013

The Merry Month of May

May is the month of busy moms.

It's barely begun and I'm already feeling frazzled, planning and scheduling things like both girls' birthday celebrations at school (Genevieve's is early since we'll be on summer vacation when her birthday rolls around), a big third-grade project and program for Julia--which involves a parent-obtained or -created costume! oh my--, the school Field Day (for which I am volunteering), the annual Talent Show (my daughters think they are singing a One Direction song with their pals, oh my, again), Julia's birthday party at home and visits from grandparents, and just the general chaos and craziness of the end of another school year.

In the middle of all that I'm attempting to plan a small family summer trip; clean/refresh/prep the house, garage, patio, and front door area for spring (a week ago it was all still covered in snow, remember?); schedule the kiddos' summer activities; get the kids to the park and on bike rides after school now that it's finally spring; finish up their spring-session swimming lessons; and work around (i.e., "plan some playdates or other forms of distraction to get through an entire Saturday with no parenting-partner and no car") my husband's upcoming annual 100-mile bike race.

It shouldn't seem all that frazzling, but....well, it is. It's all (mostly? not the cleaning house part) good, fun, spring-y, happy stuff, but it's a bit much, all at once. Because of having snowstorms into May, it has basically seemed like February around these parts until just last week, so now we're all trying to catch up on two months' worth of life in the span of a few days or weeks. Yikes!

But yay! I got my oh-so-cute wedge espadrilles, the ones my husband is giving me for my Mother's Day gift. So summery! So cute! I don't know if you can tell here, but they are navy-and-white pin-dot fabric with a knotted bow at the peep-toe. They are also 3.5 inches high so they will not be playground, pool, farm, or grocery-shopping shoes. They will be school program, out to lunch, date night, or casual summer party shoes.



Sorry I didn't take any close-ups of the shoes. Trust me, no one wants to see my feet close-up. But can you tell that the shoes are adorable? Thank you, dear husband, for the cute shoes that I will not be wearing to the pool, the farm, or the park, which are the places I frequent the most in the summer. You might say "impractical" but I say "cute and utterly necessary for the OTHER occasions that might arise, and also, on an incredible sale."

OK, mamas! I'm off. I may be harried and busy, but there's no rest for the weary, and anyway, there's a lot of spring weather out there to enjoy! (Well, not today exactly, because it's rainy and 60 degrees, but believe me, compared to a snowstorm in May this is heaven.)

Have a good day, and don't forget to put your feet up this Sunday. It's Mother's Day, and we all know that SHOULD mean "leave Mom alone so she can read a novel in peace" day. Good luck with that!

No comments: