Thursday, June 06, 2013

Yay! Book Sales Success. Thanks to You.

You guys! I am so excited.

Yesterday one of my bi-yearly (is that a word? twice a year?) royalty checks came from my publisher. When I see one of these things in the mail (which has only been one other time so far, seeing as how my book has only been out for not quite a year and a half), my immediate thought before I open it is something along the lines of, If this is more than ten dollars I'll be happy.



And I fully mean that.

I never, ever expected to make or planned on making any sort of money off this book. Let's face it, the publishing world is CRAZY HARD, and let's face it even more, first books by unknown authors often do not make any sort of profit at all, at least not in the first year or two of release. Even when it sells, there's all the publisher's expenses to recoup and the paying back of any book advance first, before the author sees any moolah.

My husband is forcing me to let you all know that, for the second time, my royalty check has been much, much more than ten dollars. He insists I need to brag on that a little bit, and while HELLO, I'M MINNESOTAN, BRAGGING GOES AGAINST OUR VERY NATURE, I do want to say this:

My surprisingly fat royalty checks? They are because of YOU. All of you. All of you who have bought my book, given copies of my book as gifts, told friends about my book, who told other friends, who told other friends.....

and lots of copies of my first-time, book-by-an-unknown-author have sold.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. You all win at awesomeness.

I love each and every one of you. You all make me want to actually write the second book idea I've had since late last summer.

Big hugs to all of you.

No comments: