Friday, August 02, 2013

Denial

Shut it, Target.

On Wednesday the girls and I went to the Minnesota Zoo with some of our best friends. My BFF and I had decided to go after an early lunch for a change, so we wouldn't need to carry picnics with us all over the place, and we figured we'd stay two or three hours and see only portions of the (huge) zoo. My kids, especially, and her younger of her two, typically have strict stamina limits.

We ended up staying almost five hours and nearly closing the place down.

The kiddos insisted we see just about everything--we did miss a couple of things--and even though there were a few dicey moments late in the afternoon when we seriously doubted any of us would be able to actually walk back to the main area of the zoo from aaaaaaall the way out at the Farm area, and it was only the presence of a handful of lollipops and Tootsie Rolls in my bestie's purse that saved us, we scoured the place and even managed to go back to the Tropics Trail to see the Burmese python that one of the children was so insistent upon. (Said python unhinged his jaw and opened his mouth wide enough to eat one of us as we were watching him, causing mass hysteria on the part of the moms, even though he was safely behind a glass wall.)

There are no words, truly. Other than "get me out of here."
(photo by Dan Opdal at pbase.com)


We had SO. MUCH. FUN.

And then we came home and the next day spent the afternoon at the pool.

During which time I was once again made extraordinarily aware that in the summer, being a stay-at-home mom is the BEST GIG EVER.

I know that some moms start a fevered countdown to the first day of school right around this time, but I have to consciously avoid thinking about it to keep from crying. As usual, the Back-to-School ads and Target aisles stab me in my heart.

My BFF and I decided to just call yesterday "July 1st" instead, so it's all good. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, after all.

No comments: