Monday, August 19, 2013

Tick Tock

last Thursday

It's officially the last two weeks of summer vacation before school begins (sob!).

Just two remaining weeks to get to the pool and squeeze in any final activities off our Summer Bucket List. I'm afraid we overdid the out-of-town "field trips" on that list. Most of the items not yet crossed off are things like "Go to the Eagle Center in Wabasha" and "Visit Covered Bridge Park in Zumbrota." We just don't have time to go out of town on day trips very often. It's hard to fit them in among all the pool dates, play dates, picnics, errands, chores, birthday preparations (two summer birthdays in this house), visits from relatives, etc. that have to go down all summer too. Still, we've had a great, busy summer filled with plenty of adventures, both in town and out.

Last week was a particular blur. Over the weekend this happened:



Yes, my seven-year-old requested a "One Direction"-themed birthday party. In case you are not familiar, "1D" is a British boy band, popular with the teen and preteen girls. The only reason my daughters even know about (= are obsessed with) them is because our next-door neighbor/their daily playmate is ten years old. (I must admit I get a kick out of seeing my girls get all excited about some cutie boys singing harmless pop. Didn't we all, at some point?)

The homemade chocolate-peanut butter ice cream cake was a big hit, and all the girls wanted to take their little miniature British flags home with them.


What do you do for a One Direction birthday party, other than eat cake festooned with miniature British flags printed off the Internet, meticulously cut out, and then glued around toothpicks? Good question.

We played "Pin the Microphone on the Singer" using a 1D poster provided by Grandma (thanks, Mom!), as well as musical chairs with One Direction tunes. I had also printed One Direction and rock-and-roll-themed coloring pages off the Internet (everything exists on the Internet, folks) and the girls colored those for awhile.

After that, we resorted to generic party activities to fill the time around cake and presents. I had the girls do a nature scavenger hunt in the backyard, and they loved it. It was all good.

Prior to the week-ending 1D birthday party, there was the grandparents' visit and the celebration for the actual birthday. This included things like birthday waffles for breakfast and frozen layered chocolate-Oreo cupcakes after dinner. Yum.



Not to mention perfect presents:


No, she doesn't know how to play the guitar. Please do not muddle the topic with details.

Somewhere in there I actually got dressed and groomed nicely and went on a movie date with my husband. Yes! True story! Grandma and Grandpa were kind enough to babysit.





You guys! I'd just had a haircut with a newish stylist and OMG---the layers, they are perfect.

Seriously, how often do I look that freshly showered and nicely groomed? Not often, not in the summer as a stay-at-home mom, let me tell you. I feel like for the last 2-1/2 months I've basically been living in swimsuits and workout clothes. Oy.

Oh! And somewhere else in all those goings-on last week, a regional women's lifestyle mag called me up (well, the editor-in-chief called me up) and said they wanted to put me on the cover of their November issue. Interview me, talk about my book, have me come for a professional photo shoot up in the metro (complete with makeup artist and hair stylist and wardrobe coordination). Would I be interested in that?

Er...... UM, WHY YES, THANK YOU, I BELIEVE I WOULD.

(What the?!? Seriously, this is the craziest thing ever. Not to mention insanely flattering. I'll keep you posted.)

Anyway. The days roll on. Summer is on the wane, but as you all know by now, that fact is completely tragic and nightmarish in my little brain, so I trust you not to try to discuss it with me. Let's just move on. Deep breathing, deep breathing... It will be OK.

So! That was my week.

You?






No comments: