Friday, November 22, 2013

Simple & Delicious Family Cooking: Pumpkin-Oat-Chocolate Chip Cookies


You're not sick of fall pumpkin recipes yet, are you? I'm a pumpkin fanatic; I never get tired of finding and trying new seasonal pumpkin recipes.

Here's one I made today. I based it on an old handwritten recipe glued into a notebook I've had in my kitchen for about 15 or 20 years, but I changed the original up with added spices, a dose of salt (always, people! it makes the other flavors pop), and chocolate (because of course).

What I came up with is a cake-y, semi-healthy cookie made with raw ("old-fashioned") oats and pumpkin puree, and studded with dark chocolate chips. (Chocolate chunks would be even better.) I made my cookies quite small for little hands at snacktime.

Note that I used all white flour, but I bet you could experiment with using up to half whole-wheat flour.

Easy, quick, and very kid-friendly. Enjoy!

Pumpkin-Oat-Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 4 dozen, depending on size

Ingredients:

1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree (canned or from a fresh, cooked sugar pumpkin)
1-1/2 cups white flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
3/4 tsp. salt
1-1/4 cups raw oats
2/3 cup (or to taste) dark (or semi-sweet) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and beat well. Mix in pumpkin puree.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Add dry mixture to pumpkin mixture and combine. Stir in oats and chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake about 7 minutes, until lightly browned on underside but still soft and fluffy-looking. (Cookies will not spread.) Let cool on wire rack. Store tightly covered in Tupperware or similar container. (Can also freeze once cool.)


No comments: