Monday, December 02, 2013

Holiday Rush


You guys. I assume I am the only one who didn't realize until just now that the Christmas season is only THREE WEEKS LONG this year? OMG. How did that happen? I know, I know--unusually late Thanksgiving, blah blah. But OMG. Somehow I didn't put two and two together. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the fact that, if Thanksgiving is at the very end of November for some ridiculous reason, one will have only 3/4 the usual time for Christmas shopping, tree trimming, wrapping, shipping, card-writing, baking, caroling, school event-attending, decorating, treat-delivering, toy-drive-gifting, and all the rest.

It seems like a very good time to revisit a piece I wrote several years ago for BlogHer, about surviving the hustle and bustle by consciously choosing to simplify your holiday experience.

On another note, how about this old holiday essay by Catherine Newman? Have you read it in years past? It's so beautiful that I can't help rereading it every Christmas even though it's a little like torture--the dear, tender part about the third baby that wasn't meant to be, the ache for what might have been, even if you never thought you wanted more than what you already have.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving, full of love and gratitude and too much pie. If you have any bright ideas about slowing down time, let me know. Until then, happy holiday season.

No comments: