Thursday, January 09, 2014

Back to School, Redux

The littles went back to school yesterday. It was no warmer than the day before, but you can only keep school closed so long.

When you're small, it's hard to go back to school after 18 days off, at home with Mama, lazing in pj's and doing fun stuff. Genevieve was not overly thrilled, and I felt for her. I remember when Julia was in 1st grade and she cried every morning for six weeks after a two-week Christmas break. Fortunately, Vivi didn't cry, and because it was Late Start Wednesday, her school day was an hour shorter than it normally is. It went fine, but the day still wore them both out. I was glad the new session of tae kwon do didn't start last evening as well (that's tonight; postponed from Tuesday when it was cancelled due to the weather).

And me? Well, yesterday was simultaneously nice (easy to get things done when you're on your own) and a little lonely. Mostly nice. It went by really, really fast, as I did three loads of laundry, cleaned bathrooms, went to Target, exercised (halfheartedly; the Whole30 is kicking my ass all of a sudden, just as the book says it will for awhile, and I only made it halfway through my Jillian Michaels DVD, which is unheard of for me), and attempted to get the house a bit more organized after the holidays. Clearly I need several more days for that last goal.

As for this wacky elimination nutrition challenge I'm currently doing, no, I didn't fall face-first into a box of Cheez-Its without my kiddos around to witness and monitor. I stayed technically "Whole30 compliant" (but snacking all day--on approved foods), BUT I will say that day 8 was KILLER. I finally had one of those days where I couldn't get full, craved carbs all day (and I mean REAL carbs like bread, not squash and parsnips, yo) had zero energy, and felt like #$!%.

Experienced Whole30-ers (and the program's authors) swear this is normal and expected and is just what your body goes through as it is adjusting from having a constant quick energy source of glucose from quick-sugar snacks to withdrawing from sugar and refined carbs and being forced to use fat as fuel, but.....it pretty much sucked. I'm praying things improve on that front soon, or I'm not gonna make it all 30 days, you guys! On the other hand (trying to focus on the positive!), I still can't believe how much better my hip joints feel after only 8 days on this plan.

And that's what's going on in my boring life! How about you?


No comments: