Friday, January 03, 2014

Simple and Delicious Family Cooking: (Accidentally) Egg-less Multigrain Banana-Cranberry-Coconut Muffins

 (Note the two tiny loaves in the top left corner; I bought those pans in Toronto 
and now I make two mini-breads for my girls every time I make muffins. They love them!)

So I was all set to make some banana muffins earlier today for my kiddos' snacks when I realized I am out of eggs. (Very rare occurrence; there's a good explanation but more on that some other time.) I'm going to the supermarket tonight, but because we're hosting a playdate this afternoon, I didn't really have time to move my errand up.

A quick Google search for egg substitutes in muffins revealed that you can use mashed banana. So I pulled some dried cranberries and sweetened shredded coconut out of my pantry for added interest, fooled around a bit with one of my standard muffin recipes, and hoped for the best.

My no-egg experimental muffins turned out beautifully! Here's the recipe in case you're interested. :)

Egg-less Multigrain Banana-Cranberry-Coconut Muffins
makes 12

Ingredients:

1 mashed ripe or over-ripe banana
1 cup buttermilk, or a combination of buttermilk and plain yogurt adding up to 1 cup total (could also use an entire cup of just yogurt, but your batter will be thicker/dryer)
1/4 cup canola (or other) oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup whole oats
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with papers, or grease with baking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the mashed banana, buttermilk/yogurt, oil, vanilla, brown sugar, and oats. In a separate medium bowl, combine the flours, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Add cranberries and coconut and fold into batter.

Spoon into muffin tin (cups will be quite full). Bake for 14 or 15 minutes, or until browned on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy for breakfast, an after-school snack, or packed in a lunchbox!

1 comment:

Erika said...

Those look so delicious!!