Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sweet Moments and Clean Eating

via disney.wikia.com

 At one point yesterday, I had two 9-year-olds and two 7-year-olds at my sunny dining room table, rosy-cheeked from sledding in our backyard for the past hour and a half, drinking cups of hot chocolate and singing along to the "Frozen" soundtrack. You guys, that is a blessed moment, right there. I'm telling you.

Later on, at bedtime, Genevieve wanted me to crawl in bed with her. She's been going through this phase where she's scared at night--of tornadoes, of bad dreams she had the night before, whatever. She likes me to lie with her until she falls asleep at those times, and I don't even mind, because is there anything sweeter than cuddling a small, soft child in a cozy bed until she's quiet and asleep? I remember all those times she woke up five to ten times per night--for years!--upset and crying, and we'd have to go in and try to get her to go back to sleep, and all those bedtimes with the wailing and fussing, and I think, This is nothing. This is lucky. This is a gift. And it really does feel like one.

So those were my sweet moments from yesterday. And in other news, you may be interested to hear that "clean eating" on the Whole30 is finally starting to feel easy and like no big deal. I'm on week three now, and while I haven't been perfect, it's been 19 days since I had a Diet Coke, cream in my coffee, or desserts (among other things), and that feels pretty huge. Although I can't quite decide if that makes me feel really proud or super boring.

Truly, some of the things I thought would be the hardest take virtually no effort. The Diet Coke thing? People, I loved Diet Coke like a family member for years and years, and craved it every afternoon. But I'm not exaggerating when I say that almost from day one, I didn't even think about it. I have this new theory that processed food makes you crave Diet Coke. Like their addictive qualities enhance each other somehow. Once I was no longer eating any processed food at all, I lost all craving for Diet Coke. Weird, right? So easy. (I drink a lot of green tea, herbal tea, and fizzy water instead. I know! Boring. But honestly--easy.)

The other biggie was cream in my coffee, which I previously felt was one of the main reasons for living. But now, I can honestly say that black coffee ain't no big thing. It's totally fine and I really don't miss dairy at all, other than ice cream, which will always and forever be my favorite food and a large component of my mental health.

Carry on, dears.


No comments: