Tuesday, June 03, 2014

The Power of Ten

It's been a crazy, emotional, busy couple of weeks, and I owe you a few meandering stories and some long-winded reflection. Nah, don't worry, I'm not going to subject you to that right now.

It's a big day around here. Life is changing, which is interesting and very fitting at this decade milestone: my firstborn's 10th birthday, ten years since I first became a stay-at-home mom. Maybe my reading--and then rereading--of The Ten Year Nap this year (such a way with words that Meg Wolitzer has!) sent an unseen, waiting, unknown something into motion somewhere off in the universe, propelling things to come my way, now, at this ten-year, 10th birthday mark. I don't know. You'll have to read the book, and I'll have to explain more later.

Right now it's a big, BIG birthday, and also, with 4th and 2nd grades closing up shop, it's the end of the beginning of the end of the beginning, and on and on it goes, or something like that. Another school year winding down, another batch of birthday candles to blow out. It's all good. But to a mama, also a little bit sad. But really--happy. But also sad. Mostly happy--with plenty of bittersweet thrown in for good measure.

Because you can't be a mom without crying a little when your babies grow up--and when one phase of life (the best, sweetest, most beloved phase ever), is on the verge of ending, and another world is out there ready and waiting.


No comments: