Wednesday, June 11, 2014

What is so Rare as a Day in June?

Here's the deal, you all. Julia's ten now; she's getting too old to blog about. Her privacy is at stake. Her stories are her own.

In three months I won't be a stay-at-home mom anymore. My daughters' school didn't have any part-time special-ed (or any other department) educational assistant positions open for next year, so I was offered either a full-time position in the autism program or nothing at all. I had 36 hours to decide. I took the job. I will be at school every minute that my daughters are. We will leave before eight in the morning and come home around 3:30 each day. No more SAHM days for me--at least not for the 2014-2015 school year.

That said, the last day of the 2013-2014 school year was last Friday, summer vacation began on Monday, and life is full of sunshine and the juicy glowy wonderfulness that is June in Minnesota. A few photos might be OK.



Goodbye, 2nd and 4th grades.



Tae kwon do continues this summer. Above, the girls model their new uniform pants (with their yellow belts), paired with new t-shirts from grandma and grandpa, delivered during their visit last week: Genevieve's says "Don't be fooled by the ponytail"; Julia's says "Fight like a girl." Don't you love it? When it's hot in the summer, they are allowed to wear t-shirts with their tae kwon do pants rather than the normal uniform top, which is long-sleeved and hot, so these shirts are perfect.



We are set, mamas. Yesterday at Target, the girls helped me pick out a Nate Berkus wire magazine file, which now sits on our kitchen counter and holds the girls' math workbooks and packets that their teachers sent home to keep them from forgetting all their 2nd- and 4th-grade knowledge over the next 12 weeks. Every day the girls have to practice either guitar, tae kwon do, or math, so I wanted to keep their workbooks readily visible and available so they can grab them whenever they need to.

And yes, we've been to the pool already. We went yesterday, and two out of the three of us promptly got sunburned, despite sunscreen application. Clearly I've gotta step up my game on the sunscreen thing. Out of practice?

Today: haircuts for the girls, a few downtown errands, the popcorn cart, the pool. This evening, for me, a trail run in the woods and on the prairie. Outside right now the air smells like a clean, green, summer meadow. It's all good.



1 comment:

Joni Fazo said...

Congratulations on your new job! I hope you keep blogging. I really enjoy reading your articles!