Friday, September 12, 2014

Meet You in the Cold Medicine Aisle?

The second week of school and all three of us who spend our days at an elementary school have been, or currently are, sick. Oy!

Overnight Monday I caught a cold virus. Woke up Tuesday and knew I was in for it. So far I've been powering through anyway--too early to use sick days, you all! so many potential kid sick days to cover in the next nine months!--but Genevieve's class has already had one case of pinkeye and one case of strep. STREP. THE SECOND WEEK OF SCHOOL.

WHAT. THE.WHAT???

During the course of each day, I work with four different autistic children. All of them routinely wipe their noses with their fingers and then hold my hand. There isn't enough hand sanitizer in the world, you guys.

Last night I dropped my girls at Tae Kwon Do and then went to Target and bought: zinc tablets, Emergen-C, Mucinex, Excedrin, Children's Nighttime Could & Cough, and multivitamins. These are products I generally don't even think about until October or November.

But! The good news. Here I am done with two weeks of working full-time after the ten-year-nap that is a decade of at-home motherhood (and here we use the word "nap" to actually mean: not much sleep at all), and things are GREAT. Yes, I'm getting up before dawn to do laundry and clean bathrooms before work. Yes, it's true I have zero time for socializing or reading for pleasure. Yes, I'm surrounded by little-kid germs every second of the day. But somehow, it's all working out so far.

Not the getting sick part. But everything else.

And get this: Today my supervisor put out a basket of local orchard apples, packets of mixed nuts, and dark chocolate truffles on the space where we educational assistants all keep our schedules and supplies for the day, with a note that said, "We're off to a great start this school year, and it's thanks to all of YOU!" with a smiley face.

I'm still rolling around like a tumbleweed half the time, trying to find my direction and control my speed. But it's all good. Things will shake out little by little. And hopefully my immune system will stage a coup. In the meantime, I'm just keeping on keeping on. You do the same, friends.

No comments: