Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Windy City

I think the proper descriptor for what my life is like right now would be whirlwind. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I wake up at 5:30 and do not sit still--other than a short time for dinner and not even that on all nights; depending on the evening's schedule, I may be eating dinner standing at the counter or wolfing something down post-run after my family has eaten--until I'm in my bed between 8:30 and 9:00.

My FitBit (wrist pedometer; I traded up when Genevieve begged for a pedometer for her birthday and I gave her my waistband-clip model) tells me that between wake-up and home-from-school/work, I typically take between 10,000 and 12,000-some steps each day. That doesn't count my normal workouts (yesterday I topped 23,000 steps for the day, after my evening run).

Before school/work is a blur of getting myself and the girls ready to head out the door at 7:45 and doing whatever daily chores I can squeeze in. After school/work is a blur of going through school bags/papers/forms, helping with homework, cooking dinner, doing laundry, and supervising kids' activities. When Christopher gets home from work it's a blur of squeezing in my workouts, packing next days' lunches, kids' lessons, baths and next-day prep, and runs to the supermarket. At nine I turn out my light and get ready to do it all again the next day.

The amazing part is how much I am LOVING it. My job is fantastic. I love it all and each day goes by in a speedy---well---whirlwind. I see my daughters in the halls on and off all day and take a short walk over lunch so I don't miss out on too much of the autumn sun and nice weather, because I'm not used to being inside one building all day long. I meet my girls after school and it's always a joy to see their waiting faces.

What's also funny is how it all seems surprisingly doable and smooth, how aside from the lack of usual autumn homemade desserts around the house--there is no time for making apple crisp and pumpkin muffins these days--it feels like I'm managing everything just fine, even with being occupied with a new activity for roughly 38 hours per week that I wasn't before.

But then I remember that I haven't been able to even fully read and comprehend the flurry of emails peppering my inbox re: the start of this year's mother-daughter book club--it didn't help that Julia and I missed the first meeting due to sickness--and then my friend Kathy writes to ask something about our 5th-grade daughters' schedules and I answer her that I have no idea, that "I'm barely eating three meals a day and getting the correct children home with me each afternoon." And I realize that starting a new full-time job is a much larger adjustment than it feels on the surface sometimes, when I'm focused merely on running this way and that and getting everything done each day before lights-out.

So: frenzy, whirlwind, fever. In a good way. If that makes sense?

Life's so crazy/funny sometimes. So far, so good.




No comments: