Monday, December 08, 2014

You Can't Really Go Wrong with Butter, Sugar, & Almond if You're Scandinavian and it's Christmas.

So we're full-tilt into the Christmas season and here I haven't yet shown you this:


I mean.

And then the day after Thanksgiving we went to the downtown shops of our own little Bedford Falls and Julia spied this:


...and told me to get it for Daddy for Christmas. Yes, I'm sure he'd love that.

Meanwhile, I've decided that these are my all-time favorite Christmas cookies:


cherry-almond chocolate kisses 

 Make that my all-time favorite cookies of any kind, for any occasion, period. Holy yum.

Sadly we're also full-tilt into germ season, and as of last Friday at my daughters' school/my workplace, there was the stomach flu, influenza, pneumonia, and strep all racing through the building from one family to another, one grade to the next. Two of the four students I work with daily went home sick, and by Saturday evening Genevieve was throwing up and feverish. Gah! Needless to say, I have not made much progress in resuming my regular exercise schedule after my pre-Thanksgiving 2.5-week sinus infection. Because, what? You're not gonna go out running when your baby needs you, are you? And when you're watching everyone else (including yourself) with an eagle eye for signs of being the next one down?

Today I stayed home from work with sick Genevieve, and by 11 a.m. I was texting my closest work friend, the fellow mom with whom I compare notes on the daily about how far behind we are on laundry, how many times we've recently misplaced important items due to busy-induced absentmindedness, and our lack of time to cook, saying, "I've done all the laundry, made a huge kettle of soup, and am currently CLEANING THE COFFEEMAKER. What the WHAT?!" She answered back with proper reverence for my unexpected at-home-mom day. Think what she would have said if I'd texted again later to tell her I finished my Christmas cards and made a second batch of the cherry kiss cookies.

Deck the halls, you all! Christmas is coming. And Lord knows it's not really about the shopping or the cookies or how fast you send your cards out. Well, OK, it IS about the cherry chocolate kiss cookies. That, joy, and love. It's all about love.

No comments: