Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Down and Out.

Sooooo.... Like many other parts of the country, my town is currently experiencing a scourge of influenza. There are also waves of the stomach flu and strep making the rounds. It has gotten so bad at my girls' school (where, as you know, I also work) that there aren't enough subs to fill the various staff absences each day, and yesterday 94 kids were out sick. NINETY-FOUR. This is a small school, people--500-some children enrolled--so 94 out sick is a huge number.

Every child I work with individually in my job as a special ed assistant for the autism program has been felled by either influenza or the stomach flu. So it should come as no surprise when I tell you that two weekends ago Genevieve caught the stomach flu, Julia had tummy troubles one day last week as well, this past Saturday Genevieve came down with influenza, I caught influenza from her a day or so later (not sure when it began for me; I started coughing on Saturday night but pushed through and went to work on Monday only to collapse when I got home on Monday afternoon), on Monday we found out that Genevieve also has strep, and on Tuesday Julia caught strep as well.

Bottom line: barely limping along over here. I am literally using up almost all of my entire school-year's worth of sick leave but there's nothing I can do, all the Christmas-related tasks I planned to be doing this week are undone, we missed the last day of the fall Tae Kwon Do session, and this last week of school before Christmas break--usually a fun, festive week--has become simply a string of school absences. The school even cancelled all the classroom's annual holiday concerts and cookie parties this week and rescheduled them for January.

Boo. Hiss.

I've never had influenza before, but when they say it makes you feel like you've been hit by a truck, THEY ARE NOT KIDDING--whoever they are. I have never felt so sick. I think I may have bruised or fractured a rib from coughing (this actually happened to a friend of mine a month ago) and just going up the stairs takes every ounce of energy I can muster.

So, it's back to bed for me now, with fervent hopes that Vivi and I will recover in time to finish out this last week before holiday break (Julia is already back at school today) and prepare for Christmas as planned (hello, the gingerbread men are not going to make themselves!!). Here's hoping you and yours are staying healthy, wherever you are.

Over and out.


No comments: