Monday, January 12, 2015

Solo Parenting in the Arctic


So! No, we haven't dropped off the face of the earth. We DID all finally recover from the illness Armageddon that was Christmas break. And, the New Year is off and running in all its usual frigid glory. If you call -35 below windchills glory.

Last week we all returned to school (= work for me) and it was so unfathomably cold that the kiddos had indoor recess the entire week. And we have hard-core recess weather rules, too, people. A week of indoor recess means that for five straight days, the windchill was colder than 10 below zero. Because, believe it or not, the kids (and playground supervision staff! which would be me!) go out if it is, say, nine below zero with the windchill. Which, um, I believe is what conditions are going to be like TODAY. Lord help me.

I've been on my own for a week, while Crazy Biker Husband (as in bicyclist, not as in motorcycle gang) does a 200K winter wilderness trail bike race in Idaho. In case you are wondering, 200K means you're biking for, like, 28 hours straight.

The last time he did this bike race, I was a stay-at-home mom. It was challenging and tiring being a solo parent for a week in the winter, but now that I'm doing it as a full-time working mom, I look back on that week last year and think, OMG whyyyyy did I think that was hard??? Because I had all day while the girls were in school to get everything else done that no one was around to do but me.

This time around it's not all that different from regular life--trying to fit everything in around work hours, juggling the kids' activities and the shopping and all the rest--because I do all that all the time anyway, but it's more like nothing ever slows down or ends or really gets done when there's only one adult around. Sometimes you really, really need someone ELSE to run to the store at the last minute to get more children's ibuprofen, you know? Luckily, I have some of the best friends on the planet, who have my children over to play and help me out more than anyone should be expected to do.

But. The girls and I still make a pretty good team when we're on our own. After surviving the week of one-parent at home and frigid cold at school/work, we went out for dinner on Friday night and, naturally, got ice cream for dessert. Because that's what you do when you're Minnesotan, apparently. We managed the homework and chores and a freak child accident/injury (all is OK) and the usual bedtime angst and the start of a new swimming lesson session, and survived the weekend intact, if just barely. We'll survive another frigid January week too, of course--what choice do we have?

But inside we're all dreaming of summer afternoons at the pool.

And with that, I'll leave you with this favorite poem that I may have shared with you in previous winters, one that seems fitting right now:

I Heard a Bird Sing
by
Oliver Herford


I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December.
A magical thing
And sweet to remember.

"We are nearer to Spring
Than we were in September,”
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December.


(Sorry for the wonky text placement; cannot for the life of me figure out why it's doing that and it won't change.)

Soldier on, my shivering friends!

xoxo
S

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

Some of my best memories are the solo-parenting months when hubby was working in MN. We missed him terribly, but still had fun. Of course you realize I'm completely suppressing the memories of solo tantrums, solo bathroom accidents, solo screaming fits........

OH NO! THE CHOPPERS!

Shannon said...

Mnmom: I totally know what you mean. I truly enjoy our "girl power" days/weeks now that I'm not dealing with nighttime awakenings, diapers, constant tantrums, giant messes (well....), etc. We actually do have a lot of fun (see: out for ice cream during coldest month of the year, ha). :)